Dear Mululu X,
Twenties is a very interesting phase in one’s life. You have just gotten out of college, some of us even start our first jobs in our early twenties.
We are exposed to the world for real, without the safe net of school, parents, and college.
We interact with new people and make new connections as we step into adult life. It is both an exciting and overwhelming phase. We start earning and living independently for the first time (relevant for Africans as your father reminds every day).
I recommend everyone to take out some time and reflect on what advice do you have for your younger self. It may bring forth interesting points which might be relevant as an advice to your current self also. It will also help you feel good about all the right things you did and should continue.
I think we miss out, on not self-reflecting, and keep on doing the same things that have turned our life’s into living hell.
Looking back, I realize we worried so much about some insignificant things back then and paid less attention to some important ones.
Here are some things I would like to say to my 20-year-old self:
- Take some time out to read more books. You have always loved reading and you should pick up that practice again. I cannot over-emphasise the importance of this.
- Meet more people. Interact with people from different professions and geographies. This will help you widen your perspective and introduce you to a variety of things unknown to you. Meeting people from different professions will help you narrow down to what you want to pursue in your life and what interests you.
- Plan more trips with family. Though it’s important to travel with friends at this age its equally important to create memories with family. They will not be here forever. Spend some weekends at home.
- Don’t worry about money in a job too much. Focus more on learning and push yourself to learn and experiment more. Be inquisitive.
- It’s okay to remove toxic people from your life. Don’t feel guilty about taking that step to remove such people from your life. The sooner you do the better for you.
- Start investing and saving a small sum. It doesn’t matter how small. It’s important to get into the habit and understand the benefits of compounding.
- Don’t try to keep in touch with everyone. Not everyone who walked into your life at some point will stay. Let go, it drains you and your time to keep in touch with people who don’t try to make some effort from their end as well.
- Don’t waste too much time trying to decide on things which will not hold relevance in sometime. If any decision is reversible or can be amended easily the don’t waste too much time thinking about it. Acting fast rather than thinking too much will benefit you more for such decisions.
- Do not go out of your way helping everyone. Not everyone would acknowledge it and you may feel bad later. If you do, do not expect them to do the same for you.
Lastly, I would like to tell the 20-year-old me that you are doing great. You have meaningful relationships and the right attitude. There’s no stopping you so get out there and go for things you want 🙂
#note to self : What is the one advise you will give to your 20 year old self?